The Society was established by Charter on 30th June 1868; its ‘objects were to keep alive interest in the school, to form a bond of union between past and present Cheltonians and to aid the general interests of the school'. A huge amount has been done since 1868 by The Society to further these 'objects’ and with the greater resources of the Cheltonian Association - set up in 2007 - to reach out not only to Old Cheltonians, but to all those with past and present 'associations' with College.
The Society works closely with the Association in their mutual support of Old Cheltonians. The Society provides annual grants to the OC Sports’ Clubs and, on application, post university grants when funds are available. Some recent examples:
- John Tulloch (BH, 2003), after completing his degree in veterinary science, was given a grant towards the cost of his travelling costs on taking up a Dairy Internship at Michigan State University.
- Matt Day (Xt, 2004) was given a grant towards the cost of his travelling costs on taking up a three month internship in Tulane University, New Orleans, as part of his medical studies at Dundee University.
- Kyle Stovold (S, 2006) was given a grant towards the cost of his travelling costs on travelling to South Africa as part of his MSc research.