Philanthropy at College is not a modern concept. Indeed, College owes its existence to a few parents of boys who met at the house of a Mr G S Harcourt in 1840, and decided to start a school.
They raised the necessary funds among their friends in Cheltenham and many developments since - from the Chapel to the Centenary/New Block – have been made possible by the generosity of Old Cheltonians (OCs), parents and friends of College.
School fees pay for the running costs of College alone. To be able to offer bursaries, develop our facilities, expand into new areas of teaching and provide increased extra-curricular opportunities we rely on the donations we receive.
In recent years, we have invested over £20 million in College, over £6 million of which was received in donations from OCs, parents and friends of College. We are profoundly grateful for this support.
Some recent projects include:
- The complete refurbishment of the Science Centre in 2014 was entirely funded by donations. College is now equipped with cutting-edge facilities which ensure we can continue to prepare students for flourishing futures in all-important STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) subjects.
- The redevelopment of the College Boat House in 2017-18. The work included a new roof and first-floor renovation, a new workshop for better fleet maintenance, a training room and a historic rowing memorabilia display.
- The renovation of the main College building in 2011 bringing it firmly into the 21st century yet without losing any of its heritage and history. Major improvements were made to The Chatfeild-Roberts Library, Big Classical, the backstage area and the creation of a new entrance onto the Quad, a green room and dance studio.
- The Chapel has received philanthropic support. The Crypt was refurbished and is now a fantastic Chaplaincy centre. The new Peterken Song School has been generously funded to support the College choirs. We have also received generous support to restore the Chapel Lunettes and towards the cost of the complete rebuild of the College organ in 2017.
We are always grateful for support received for bursaries, Houses and specific subject areas. Do get in touch to find out more about the opportunities that are available.
There are several ways you can support College:
- Become a regular supporter by joining our 1841 Society. You will receive regular updates from us as well as invitations to a number of events at College and in London. You will also be added to our annual Benefactors Board.
- Remember College in your Will and become a member of The Hugh Reeves Legacy Society (PDF 174KB)
- Make a single gift now
- Make a regular (Direct Debit) gift now
To find out more or to get involved, please get in touch with our Director of External Relations, Christiane Dickens or Sebastian Bullock, Deputy Development Director, or by telephone on 01242 706 815.