Christowe thrives on its keen sense of tradition and history. The House emblem is the Royal Lancers’ skull and cross bones and it originates from the Duke of Cambridge’s cavalry regiment of the British Army.
The House moved into the current building in 1866 under the Housemastership of the Reverend William Boyce; who named Christoweafter the village in Devon where he married. In recognition of Reverend Boyce ‘Boyceites’ is the name given to all members of the House.
Despite its logo being the fiercesome skull and cross bones, Christowe Housemaster Jonathan Mace works hard to develop boys who are always prepared to throw themselves wholeheartedly into all the wonderful opportunities they have, always reminding them of the House motto: 'Nil Desperandum!' (Never Despair!)
Housemaster Jonathan Mace works hard to develop boys who are always prepared to throw themselves wholeheartedly into all the wonderful opportunities they have.
Jonathan lives in Christowe with his family; his wife Beki plays an active role in House life supporting the boys and looking after their two children Isobelle and Ben. The family work with Assistant Housemaster Will Packer, Resident Tutors Todd Freedman and Tom Wilson, and Matrons, Jenni Hyde and Clair Parker-Butler, to run the House. Their efforts and support ensure all boys leave Christowe well mannered, inquisitive, socially comfortable and able to talk about the wider world, not just things they have participated in at College.